Sunday, October 4, 2009

To Sew or Not To Sew...

I am back home after a two-week work trip.  In the intervening time, my husband and I have decided that we will be traveling to London for Halloween, in 22 days!  My brother-in-law, who lives in London, is getting married on Halloween and having a costume ball for the party.  Suddenly I need a kick-ass, awesomelicious costume finalized in three weeks.  Gah!

If I did sew my own costume, I'm learning towards some kind of autumn/woodsey fairy.  The other option would be to rent something, but in that case I would probably go for something more recognizable like a flapper girl or something princessy.


I wouldn't want to go with stereotypical fairy, but something less commercialized.  In looking through multitudes of costume patterns, I came across Simplicity 9966.  View B (bottom left) specifically, could be adjusted to a neat fairy costume.  I would likely make the dress without the sleeves and probably shorten the skirts.  I might also go with a different corset.


Which brings me to McCall 5732, with a very classical fairy corset which might help bring the fairy essence to the costume.  Of course the wings will help too.

At this point I'm feeling pretty in over my head with trying to sew something as complicated as a corset in such a short time frame.  I certainly wouldn't want to end up with something that looked home-made.  Plus, I can probably rent a costume for the cost of the materials that I would want to use, never mind the cost of wings that didn't look grade-school.

I might just have to go rental shopping and see if I fall in love with something...

No comments: