Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Forest Quilt Planning

Back when I was pregnant with my first, I found myself in a fabric store in Breckenridge in search of something fabulous to remember the trip by. I stumbled across a cream and green leaf motif fabric, and bought a yard and a half, thinking I might make a crib sheet out of it.

Jump forward almost two years. I'm dreaming up a quilt for that same baby, whose room is done up in a forest motif, with a tree painted on the wall even. I was gravitating towards green in his quilt, and one day pulled out all of the quilt-suitable green fabrics from my stash. I came across an awesome green cotton corduroy that I had picked up from the remnants at Denver fabrics. Add to that a green leafy quilting remnant I had picked up at Joann's a few days before, and I was starting to salivate!

Leftmost is the Breck fabric

Now I needed a quilt design! I knew I wanted to keep it simple, and was craving something with some empty space after my last, very busy quilt. In my internet wanderings, I came across a "simple four patch" pattern. This was it! After starting to play around with cutting fabric last night, I got on my computer and made a mock up of what the quilt will look like, to figure out dimensions, counts of squares, etc.
With this arrangement and 8 inch square big blocks, I will need a 6-8 inch border for a twin size quilt. I haven't yet figured out what I want that to look like, but I have plenty of time!

My intent is to strip piece the four-square blocks. Last night, I was cutting 4 1/2" squares out of my fabric. Doh! Old habits die hard.

No comments: