Friday, December 2, 2011

Border On, Mitering to Go

I cut out of work a little early and actually found some time to sew today during the daytime! I finally got around to re-cutting the border strips for the mitered border. They went on really well, I think, and now they are ready to be mitered. I was surprised by how quickly I went from cutting to assembled.
I sewed each border piece to 1/4" from the edge. I dug up several tips for mitering borders from Quiltmaking Tips and Techniques. The one I decided to use involves folding the miter with the fabric right-side-up, ironing the crease in well, then folding the whole thing on the diagonal and sewing from the back with the right sides together. I'm hopeful that it will work well!
Up close, I'm a little concerned that the border fabric and the focal fabric are too similar. When I look at it in pictures, I don't mind it nearly as much. Still, for the bed quilt I might figure out a different kind of fabric for the border, either a different color completely or something in a value in between the focal fabric and the background fabric. I have to find a different fabric, regardless, since I don't have nearly enough of this fabric for a bed quilt.

After the mitering is complete, all I have to do is sew on 2" strips of the background fabric, which will end up under the binding, so no need to worry about mitering. Then it's time to put it together and get it quilted!!

No comments: