Saturday, November 14, 2009

Colorado Quilt: Meager Progress

I have been struck down by the sickness going around this week, so I have made little progress on the current top-priority project, the Colorado Quilt.  I have previously washed and folded up my new pink fabrics, so I was able to get some cutting done this week.


I still have a tad more cutting to do.  I also need to pull apart some of the blocks that I decided not to use so that I can use some of the pink fabrics that I did like from those blocks.  Then it is on to piecing!


So far, my bible on cutting and piecing has been Nancy Johnson-Srebro's Rotary Magic, a gift from my quilting mentor.  She has some great tips on how to get straight cuts and how to fold and store fabrics.  One issue I have been having, however, is if my fabrics are folded for more than a day or two before I get around to cutting from them, I end up with soft creases like you can see in the above picture, that I am sure are affecting the straightness of my cuts.  I think I might iron my fabrics just before cutting next time.

Sadly (in the sewing sense at least), I have out-of-town guests this weekend, so I'm not sure how much I'll get done...

No comments: