Sunday, August 17, 2014

Stitch Fix: August 2014

This blog is ostensibly about sewing, but fashion is a close cousin, right? Bare with me as I diverge a little bit...
I decided to give Stitch Fix a try. My wardrobe has been woefully thin since I went back to wearing non-maternity clothes about a year and a half ago. I was pregnant and/or breastfeeding for 4 straight years. During that time I bought pretty much no new clothes that were not maternity or over-sized normal clothes. Now that I'm back into my pre-maternity clothes, I'm finding that items are wearing out and some just no longer fit my style. On weeks when I haev to work 5 days (I have every other Friday off), I am inevitably scrambling and bumbed with the options that I have for that fifth day. I have winter and summer items that get worn week after week after week. And at that rate, it's only a matter of time until those items wear out. Oh, and go shopping for clothes? My boys are 2 and nearly 4. Going shopping is a very rare occurrence.

Enter Stitch Fix. I recently stumbled on the service that provides a personal shopper, clothes delivered to your door, on an as-requested basis. It seemed like a nice fit, so I decided to give it a try.

I gotta say, Stitch Fix is fun.

There's just something about getting a package in the mail that has been selected specifically for you. It was like Christmas, even though I had to pay for anything that I decided to keep. And that's coming from someone who was not terribly impressed with what I got. But let me get to the fixes...

The first item is a silk chevron striped henley. I was very impressed with the quality of the fabric, and especially the price of this item, but unfortunately I just wasn't pleased with the way that it looked on. I had mentioned within my Stitch Fix profile that I have been wanting to wear clothing tucked in, but haven't had any luck finding styles that looked flattering. My stylist suggested wearing this shirt tucked into a pencil skirt. I also tried it untucked with pants, but it just wasn't doing anything for me.

Decision: Returned.
Next up was a mixed crochet, silk, and something stretchy tank in all black. I loved the style of this top, in terms of the mixed textures and see through elements, but the shape was terribly unflattering. There was a crochet band right in the middle that stood out from my body quite a bit and made me look way bigger than I am. I definitely tend towards an apple shape, so I especially sensitive to anything that makes my middle look bigger than it is already.

Decision: Returned.
Third is a tribal-print embroidered tank. I really like the fit of this shirt, and think it looks really flattering on, but I just wasn't excited about it. Nude and tribal is not my style, and it felt a little too casual for work. Would have been a great weekend top, but not what I'm in the market for. Not if I'm not in love with it anyway.

Decision: Returned.
Fourth and last of the clothing items in my fix is a knit maxi dress. I had mentioned that I am in the market for a maxi dress, and had pinned to Pinterest a blue and white striped maxi from Banana Republic. I felt like this was very flattering, but was again concerned that it was too casual for the office. However, what decided against this dress for me is that the stripes were all over the place where they connected to the band. This is the kind of thing that I probably wouldn't have ever noticed before I started sewing. But now, there is no way that I'm spending my hard-earned money on something that is this poorly constructed. And it was the most expensive item in my fix!

Decision: Returned.
Finally, there was this gorgeous silver-toned hammered bracelet. I was very pleased with this item. It feels contemporary and stylish without being in-your-face. However, I was a little torn because I don't do much accessorizing normally. In the end I decided to go for it.

Decision: Kept!
Overall, I was pretty disappointed not to have any clothing items in my fix that I liked enough to keep. I was especially excited about the idea of having a maxi dress. I'm still in the market for one... I had in mind a classier level of clothing than what Stitch Fix provided. More polished, more powerful. I had noted in my request that I have way more bottoms than tops to wear with them. I felt like my requests were listened to, but that they just didn't get the right tone.

I'm hopeful that giving Stitch Fix more time to learn what I like may be worthwhile. I love the idea of having someone out there finding choice pieces for me, of not having to go out shopping for clothes, and of being stretched to try new things. Part of my problem with finding clothes in my post-pregnancy world is that I just don't have a strong sense of style. My body is different than it used to be, even though I weigh less now than I did when I got pregnant the first time. Styles have changed since 2009 when I first got pregnant, and I'm very unsure of what will actually look good, and more importantly feel good, on my body. I love the idea of trying on clothes in my own home, with clothes that I already own, and sending unwanted items back without additional cost. And I sure hope that Stitch Fix can figure out my style without me having to tell them specifically the articles of clothing that I want to buy (not all blue and white striped maxi dresses are created equal). We'll see. For now, I'm willing to give it another try.

No comments: