Sunday, September 13, 2009

Welcome!

After over a year of obsessively following accomplished sewists in the blogosphere (see "Inspirations" on the right) and salivating over their skills and creativity, I have decided to create my own sewing story, one stitch at a time.

A little background: I have always been very interested in fabrics and textile arts.  One of my grandmothers was an extremely talented quilter who hand-quilted every quilt she made. The other was an amazing knitter who sewed only when she had to but could make anything you could imagine with yarn.  I was always interested in sewing and had each of them show me tidbits here and there.  My family moved thousands of miles away when I was six, however, and summer projects weren't enough to get me going on my own.

This is what I have to live up to: a quilt made for me by my grandmother when I was just a baby.

Jump ahead 20 years to the summer of 2008.  Both of those wonderful women have passed on to the next phase of life, and I find myself in a new community, far from family and friends, feeling empowered after moving 1,000 miles with my husband and two cats because we wanted to.  I suddenly decided to no longer feel as though I could not sew because I had never been taught.  I wasn't going to wake up one day and suddenly have the skills I felt I would need to be able to enjoy sewing.  Why not enjoy the process of sewing, even if the results are less-than desirable for a long time?  So I went out and bought myself a sewing machine and started sewing...

No comments: