Friday, March 7, 2014

Plum Cloak: More (Slow) Lining Progress

I've had pretty good luck working with the slippery lining fabric. This is my first time working with a slippery for more than a little, crafty project. I cut the fabric in a double layer, sandwiched between two layers of tissue paper. I took a ton of time trying to ensure the two layers of fabric were perfectly squared and flat. In the photos I took, I can see that there are a couple of spots that aren't completely flat. I eventually got a little fatigued on the whole thing and decided to just go for cutting it.
I sewed two pieces of the lining together over the weekend. I stay-stitched the neckline and shoulder area per the instructions. Then I stitched the seam with my walking foot. After careful pressing, I was so pleased with the results! I didn't bother trying to line up the dots, and I'm not at all bothered by that so far.
But then I took the seam back to the sewing machine and sewed an overcast stitch to protect the seam allowances. It really rippled the seam allowances and made the seam look a lot more messy. Bah!
The seam from the right side doesn't look too bad. There's some wobbliness that wasn't there before. There are some water spots visible here (did I already talk about water spots?). They're not at all noticable except when the fabric is laid completely flat in shiny light. I might try to pull them out at some point, or just live with them. I dunno.

Frivolous photo: A quick pic of my oldest being freaking adorable. Which is, of course, his natural state of being.

No comments: